The Single Biggest Thing You Need to Know about Sticking to New Year Resolutions

Hi, I’m Gordon McCrorie, the Happiness Guy. This video is all about YOU having a better year. Specifically it’s about New Year’s resolutions. 

Watch the video to find out how to get from the typically less than 10% chance of sticking to your guns to being in the group of people that has an 85% chance of actually succeeding with their New Year Resolutions. 

Most people fall off the wagon within a fortnight. I’ll tell you what to do differently to make sure that doesn’t happen to you. It will take less than four minutes of your time to discover this simple fact that will help you hit your goals and have a better life in 2020. 

After this video check out the next step via the blog page here.

Whilst I made this video a few years ago, it’s as true today as when I shot it! Watch it, take action consistently and change your life this year.

How to Stick to Your New Year’s Resolution

People make resolutions in the new year, and even with the best intentions people fall off the wagon really quickly.  The vast majority are off the wagon in two to four weeks and almost nobody is still on the wagon within two months.

Obviously nobody wants just a short term effort that they then fail at and end up feeling worse about themselves; that’s not what life is about. We should be progressing, we should be feeling better, we should be doing the things we want. 

How do we avoid the big mistakes people make when making resolutions? Well let us look at what is the single biggest mistake.

Avoid The Single Biggest Mistake

The single biggest mistake comes out of a good place, but it ultimately always ends in failure. The biggest mistake is trying to change far too much at once. So that’s it! If you try to change too much at once, try to become a different person overnight:  You eat a different breakfast, don’t eat chocolate through the day, give up crisps, getting along to the gym at night when you never did before; even when it’s cold and dark outside because it’s January. It isn’t going to take long at all to fall off the wagon. And like I mentioned most people are off the wagon within two to four weeks; and almost everybody is off the wagon at two months.

Here is what you need to know. The single biggest statistic that will hopefully  stop you from making the same mistakes again and again and instead allow you to get a win this year, and actually start  to change your life is revealed below.

Give Yourself the Best Chance of Success

If you try to make one change, just one change.  Then you have in the region of 85% chance of success. Which is clearly fab. It isn’t guaranteed but if you give just that one thing all your attention then you have the highest chance of success by far.

As soon as you try to change two things; your chance of success falls to around 30%. Would you really embark on something where you think you only have a 30% chance of success? I don’t think so because that is a 70% chance of failure.

Give Yourself the Best Chance in 2020

If you try and change three things, which again is not uncommon: Then your chance of success is less than 10%. This is when you try to change three things at once, not just at New Year. So for me, the message is clear, if you want a different 2020. Then pick one thing. Focus on that. Give it all your attention for one month and get good at it. Make it part of who you are, make it become part of your routine. Then you can pick something else in month two. Hopefully that will help you avoid the same mistakes from years gone by. 

To help you on your journey, here’s the next video to watch. You guessed right, it talks about the second biggest mistake people make.

If you have any questions, I’d love to help. Let me know. I hope that has been useful for you and take care.

author avatar
Gordon McCrorie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed